Monday, May 17, 2010

Spring time and your dog

Watch for Toxins in Your Spring Garden! Due to their natural curiosity, their love of digging, and their tendency to consume anything they come across, dogs are at a high risk for accidental poisoning. This can be particularly true in spring, as front gardens and backyards come to life with new growth, and as dogs and their owners spend more time outdoors.

• Toxic bulbs, plants and flowers include tulips, hyacinths, daffodils, certain lilies, crocus, and lily of the valley.

See a detailed chart here.

• Harmful fertilizers and ground cover include cocoa mulch, blood meal, bone meal, and any fertilizer containing disulfoton or organophosphates.

Store all poisonous substances in your home, garage, and yard out of reach of your curious canine, and block access to potentially harmful bulbs and flowers. If you suspect your dog has ingested a poison, call your veterinarian at once; or dial the Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680.

We received this newsletter from the AKC and decided to share it with our customers friends and family members that may not now about some dangers in the gardens or plants we have hanging around .Have a great Spring and remember to get outside and play with your dogs !!

All American Dog Training

No comments:

Post a Comment